S100 for a beginner?

Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,193
Re: S100 for a beginner?

skisagooner wrote:

Alan2dpreview wrote:

If you're planning on shooting a lot of bldgs because of your architectural interest, you should look into cameras where you can shoot with a "tilt lenses".

However, if you're not interested in shooting bldgs, you can get an S95 for under $300. It's the predecessor of the S100 and would suit your purposes.

Aren't tilt shift lenses extremely expensive? I can't afford a DSLR with a WA lens, let alone a tilt shift!

No matter what profession you pursue, you won't go far without the proper tools.

A SLR with a tilt lens will be the proper tool but you're gonna need a tripod too.

I suggest you get yourself a SLR even if it's just with the kit lens, you won't be sorry.

The S95 / S100 and cool cameras because they fit in your pocket but fall short for architectural pics.

Have you considered Business Administration for a major, all you need is a pencil and paper.

I ruled out the S95 for various reasons, primarily the 28mm wide end.

kazkioken wrote:

Since you already have visual acuity and a sense of space and composition (architecture student) I would assume you will be taking great pics and therefore you should get a system that you can grow into. You might find that your ambition exceeds the technical capability with certain cameras, but sure...as a whole any of the S's (90/95/100) are great as tiny cameras you can take anywhere. If you search on here there are several people who have shot amazing architecture with this camera. If you on the other hand need shallow depth of field, great bokeh, etc. you're going to have to get a larger sensor and some faster lenses - again just depends what you want to shoot.

You're flattering me, I'm only finishing my foundation year, taking my first year next year. But thanks for the tips. I'm just not that into photography yet to splash the cash on big toys, or am I?

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow