Is the Panasonic G3 or GH2 clean at base ISO?

Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518
Re: Are the Panasonic G3 or GH2 clean at base ISO?

phototransformations wrote:

Frankly, I never checked. I figure most sensors show some noise and I automatically tune ACR for what seems the most pleasing balance of noise vs sharpness. I'm pretty sure my G3 images looked blotchy when converted by dcraw-based RAW converters, when no noise reduction is supplied, so I don't use them. As long as the developed RAW file does not have objectional noise or blur important detail, I'm happy

I would agree in principle, but that's a very important proviso. If I got sharp, detailed, noise-less image from ACR, I wouldn't especially care how it accomplished that.

Unfortunately, that's not the case right now. Even using the default amount of NR, there are still some artifacts, and the level of sharpness drops noticeably, especially in the shadows. If I increase the NR to the point necessary to get rid of the artifacts, I'm SOL on detail, and vice versa. That's why something that's actually clean to begin with is so desirable.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
odl
odl
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow