S100: for the Point-&-Shooter, or not?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
VisionLight

VisionLight wrote:

I have a question about using shoot only IS, since I haven't tested it at all or done the technical research. The question stems from my years of use of IS lenses on Full Frame, where it usually takes the IS group mechanism a few milleseconds to stabilize after being engaged. If you don't wait, you can get fuzzy or distorted images. Wait being a broad term, since we are only talking fractions of a second. But I do always sub-consiously hold the shutter button halfway for a split second to compensate. Has the IS in this cam been upgraded so much that I no longer have to? What has your experience been for sharpness using shoot only IS?

Vision, I can't say with any knowledge whether the IS has been upgraded so you no longer have to half-press the shutter button. It's something I always do anyway with a compact camera because I want to check that focus is locked (ie; see the green focus lock indicator).

I do know the S100 has Intelligent IS that, according to Canon, automatically chooses from six different modes (including tripod mode) to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition. What's unclear to me is whether Intelligent IS only works in Full Auto mode. I've been meaning to call and ask Canon but will do so after the holiday.

As to whether or not Shoot-only IS is better than Continuous IS, there are those who take either side. I do use Continuous IS when shooting on an unsteady platform (such as a swaying boat) or, when using a long telephoto lens. It steadies the view on the LCD. Otherwise, I keep my camera set to shoot-only.

At the very least, using Shoot Only IS saves battery power. As you know, there have been complaints that the s100 battery drains fast compared to other compacts. Any feature that runs continuously uses battery power.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow