How many professional photographers bother with color management?

Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ron Kruger Senior Member • Posts: 1,975
Re: How many professional photographers bother with color management?

I would feel as though I was blind if my monitor at least wasn't calibrated, although I will admit that when I calibrated my newest monitor, it didn't change a lot. Nevertheless, it is very important to have images as close to what I want before sending them out, because I don't trust my markets.

It seems logical to be paticular about color management for high-end markets, but I think it is even more important with lower markest. My markets are tabloids, newspapers and magazines. There was a time when they had experienced and competent "photo editors," but those fell away years ago with the first migration of advertising to the internet. Most still have "design artists," usually someone working cheaply straight out of college who concentrates on layout and simply flows the image into it without looking at it very closely.

I have an agency that wants aRBG (which is mainly a pain in the ars and doesn't sell much), but everyone else wants sRBG, even labs. One of them candidly told me that when I send aRGB, they automatically convert it to sRBG and go from there. I suspect a lot of these "professional" labs give you the impression they give you extra care, and while they may print on slightly better equipment and better papers than Cosco, they use the same mass-production, standard settings techniques. So, again, having the color right from the beginning is better and cheaper than having them correct it.

At any rate, JPEGs and sRBG is the standard in my world, and if I sent an aRGB, they would just think the color was off, because I doubt any of their monitors are calibrated, especially the editors who make the initial selections.

So, I think a calibrated monitor is more important than ever for mid and low level outlets. And I agree with another poster about modern cameras getting the color closer than ever to begin with as well.

In fact, I believe the technology is getting better on both ends, and everything is becoming more "automatic," so it behoves the protographer to get it as close as possible at time of capture and make sure it is right before sending it off.
--

In the end, the only things that matter are the people we help and the people we hurt. http://pa.photoshelter.com/user/ronkruger

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow