S100: for the Point-&-Shooter, or not?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,589
Re: S100: for the Point-&-Shooter, or not?

geepondy wrote:

Without owning the camera, based solely on what I've read about the camera here . . .I've been very pleased with the S100's raw performance but agree with others in that the default jpg output is rather blah, at a minimum in serious need of a contrast boost. Wonder why Canon picked this jpg path rather then the punchier jpg output of the S95?

I was just wondering if you thought the images in my post above were "rather blah, at a minimum in serious need of a contrast boost." They are straight from the camera JPGs taken at the camera's default settings with absolutely NO post processing. The images were shot in dual RAW/Lfine JPEG mode and the DPP default and ACR6.6 conversions are in my gallery (note: ACR was only adjusted for camera lens and camera standard to equal DPP). On my 30-bit, fully calibrated monitor, I see no difference between the straight JPG and the DPP RAW default conversion, side by side at 100%. Did a second side-by-side test on my other 30-bit fully calibrated monitor at 400%. Still saw no difference. Remember, most people do not have professional monitors that are maintained at proper calibration and are viewed at the correct ambient room luminance. Nor do most people use color corrected software to analyse their output. The typical 18-bit or even 24-bit consumer monitor may not be the best equipment to make decisions on, but it is what almost all consumer reviews are based on.

This test alone gave me the confidence that I didn't always have to shoot RAW with the S100 to get the results I seek.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow