S100: for the Point-&-Shooter, or not?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,686
Re: S100: for the Point-&-Shooter, or not?

Gail,

To me, the S100 ISN'T really for the true point-&-shooter, but also IS a point-&-shoot that gives great results for those with a little bit of photographic knowledge. A conundrum to be sure.

Would I reccomend it for the person who just wants to turn it on and take pictures, with nary a glance at the manual? (For argument's sake, we'll define this as a true point-&-shooter.) Absolutely not. There are great cameras for that purpose at less than 40% of the cost. However, for the beginner who is interested in learning the craft, and can afford the S100 ,it's a great P&S. Start small with Program mode. Learn a little about the exposure it chooses, etc. Graduate to the less auto modes. Get better at it. etc., etc. Even get some insight into post processing with some of the internal features it has. All in one neat little package, chock full of goodies.

And then there's the more advanced user. Now it's a great P&S, because we know enough about setting all the menu options to our likes, pick a shooting mode, and then just go out and shoot (i.e., point & shoot). The pictures in my DPP v. ACR6.6 thread (repeated below, if you haven't seen them) are all P&S. I was still testing the camera at the time, so they were just random shots. 6 images taken in Tv over 20 minutes at RAW/Lfine JPEG with no Post at all (except default RAW conversions, of course). I took the camera out, pointed and shot. I actually call it my professional P&S.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow