My Best AF settings for D7000

Started Dec 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,911
Many reasons

hoof wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

jonikon wrote:

a1 AF-C priority set to* Focus* (this is very important!).

Why set a1 to focus vs release ? Thank you for your time.

Why would you ever want it on release-priority? Am I missing something? If you're using AF, and the AF system thinks you're not in focus, what possible benefit would there be to taking a picture? Is there a situation where you're really in focus, but the AF system disagrees?

Lag....like the humming bird example above. I do the same and if you set 'focus" priority the keeper rate does indeed go up in that case....but the total number of shots in focus may go down as many good shots are missed due to lag. This shot for instance. Not great, but one I like and never would have been possible had "focus" priority been used.

To me, release-priority should be renamed "take out of focus pictures" priority. Am I missing something big here? Is there a shooting situation where release-priority is actually useful?

Yes, with AF-C almost all as "focus" priority limits when the shutter can be released based on AF confirmation and green dot turn on...that takes time. The subject may have indeed been in focus prior to the green light then not in focus post green light while mirror is rising and VR modes are switching.

And here...not possible in "focus" priority

And here...want the ball in focus not the dog...near impossible in "focus" priority.

Bottom line....there are many reasons to be in AF-C with "release" priority and reasons to be in "focus" priority. But I've never missed a shot I wanted to take in "release". I have missed a few because of "focus" priority and the camera not agreeing with my decision.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow