How many professional photographers bother with color management?

Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,445
Re: How many professional photographers bother with color management?

It sounds like your professor doesn't know very many pros.

That statement was true - maybe 10 years ago - at a time when many were starting to convert from film to digital in large numbers, but even back in the early 2000's a fair number of pros attending state and regional professional conferences were fully aware of, if not deeply knowledgeable not just about calibration, but also color spaces, gamuts, bit depth and the complexities of end-to-end RAW workflow from capture to output. The big question of the day back then was what was the best overall end-to-end workflow and many sessions focused on the very subject.

In the past 5 or more years, that percentage has risen to include the vast number of working pros - even old schoolers. No one is out there doing formal surveys to prove that - but if you are active in your state or region professional association and meet with hundreds of peers regularly then you essentially know what the level of technical competency exists amongst your peers.

Quite frankly, it sounds like your prof is clearly out of the mainstream and still making assumptions based on the early 2000's instead of present day. He should get out of the class room and attend a few professional conferences for his/her own technical vitality which, in turn, would benefit the students

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Tell me that you know all about your camera, and I will call you a photographer.

Tell me that you understand advanced concepts, and I will call you an enthusiast.
Tell me that you've mastered post processing, and I will call you a craftsman.

Show me images that reach the heart, touch the soul, and capture the imagination,
and I will call you an artist.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow