NEX 16mm lens 4 pics with 1 meg crops, you be the judge.

Started Dec 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
madmaxmedia Senior Member • Posts: 1,597
My thumb is sideways-

They are totally fine for general shooting, and shooting stopped down will give good results with the 16mm. This is great if you are shooting landscape-type shots, but not as great for casual usage with people.

But for list price of $249, I would like better performance at the open apertures, especially at the edges. The total package delivers on the value due to lens size and wide focal length, but I think many would have preferred a different set of design choices by Sony. The 100% crops look okay, but the glass is clearly inferior to the sensor behind it.

For me, it's not about comparing test charts or that sort of thing, I just have never been particularly taken with the images with this lens. Although for me I would have preferred a 18mm or 24mm pancake, maybe if it was a bit longer I'd have stuck with it. Also, I think the combination of lens softness with Sony JPEG NR doesn't help.

madmaxmedia's gear list:madmaxmedia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow