Canon Flashes

Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 15,800
Re: Agree with OP.

I'll read the link. Thanks for the info. I got this from another site. May have something to do with your findings. It was about Average = Inside & Evaluative = Outdoors

I found the part about "Evaluative attempts to identify the subject and expose properly" interesting.

Quote.

That's a bit of an over-generalization, but remember that Evaluative mode attempts to identify the subject and expose it correctly. Average mode will average the entire frame when measuring light reflected from the pre-flash. When you're outdoors and the background is too distant to reflect the pre-flash, it will usually overexpose (depending on how much of the frame is filled by the subject).

So... Evaluative E-TTL is generally the only logical choice outdoors, or even in large rooms indoors.

Unquote

I guess using average indoors meters off everything witch will is supposed to balance out anything reflective. It is still not trying to isolate the subject.

-- hide signature --

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.

Ansel Adams

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow