Zoo portraits with 60D

Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP dotweb Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: Zoo portraits with 60D

Thanks Wayndom for the CC, I really apriciate it.

I think you need to be more patient, wait for the right moment, even if it takes a while. Most of these lack any excitement or expressiveness on the animals' faces. The ones where the animal is sitting as if it knows it's posing for a portrait are the least interesting. And a couple were shot while the animal's eyes were closed -- that just doesn't work.

I have to admit that I might not have been patient enough - but on the other hand, I did put more attention to where the animal was placed in the inviroment, so that I could get a shot with out to many "Zoo elements" like cage, and nother things that do not belong in nature

What you want are shots in which the animal is looking at something intently, or curiously, or otherwise expressing some reaction to something. Without that, the pictures have a very static feel to them, and lack interest.

I realize animals in a zoo don't have much to hold their attention, but if you want compelling photos...

On the technical side, some of the earlier shots lack any real contrast, and so look flat. You might want to play around with contrast, especially the "midrange contrast" control in Photoshop. Even better is the "Clarity" control in Adobe Camera RAW -- does the same thing, midrange contrast, but does a much better job.

This was good feedback. I will go back to the files, and do a "makeover" to see what I can achive.

BR

Steen
--
Steen
dotweb.dk
http://www.youtube.com/user/dotwebdk?feature=mhum
http://shutterstock.com/g/dotweb

EF 24-70 2.8 L / EF 70-200 2.8 L / EF 100-400 4.5 L / 60D Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 / SLIK 700 pro AMT some Sony and Olympus gear

dotweb's gear list:dotweb's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow