Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4

Started Dec 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bridgedale Regular Member • Posts: 143
Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4

I am considering buying an 85mm prime for portraits (actually cats and dogs). It seems as if the Sigma, Canon and Zeiss are at the same level optically. I made a search for 'Zeiss 85mm' but found no Canon related threads. There were some posts in the Sony and Nikon forum, but nothing in the Canon forums.

I am sure the lens must have been discussed somewhere in the Canon forums as well, but now I wonder if the reason there are very few posts is simply because the Canon lenses (f1.8 or f1.2) or the Sigma (f1.4) is regarded as much better options. (I know there is a Samyang 85mm out there as well). Of course, I am aware that the Zeiss is a manual lens, but I am not worried about that. If I decide to buy an 85mm I am tempted to go with a Zeiss just for the experience unless someone will advise against it.

I would appreciate your advice. I have just bought a split screen focusing screen that should help with focusing, but is there any obvious draw-backs with this lens aside from missing AF?

If this has been discussed before then I apologize. I would appreciate if someone would point me to a relevant thread.

Thanks, Finn

bridgedale's gear list:bridgedale's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow