AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,141
More misconceptions...

sorinx wrote:

there is no big difference between capacity of a good AA and proprietary battery. One AA has 20-30g and a capacity of 2000 - 3500mAh.

Not really. An AA Alkaline, under light load (running a clock or remote control) has a current capacity, at most, of 3,000 mA-H. Under heavy load, like a camera, that drops to below 1,000mA-H.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/chart.html

That's at 1.5V nominal, so the power capacity is...

• 1.5 W-H

A high capacity NiMH can approach 2,800mA-H, but that's a battery with poor self-discharge characteristics, not suited to general purpose photography. "Jimmy's got a soccer game tomorrow, honey. Remember to charge the batteries." A low-self-discharge NiMH (eneloop or other hybrid) has a current capacity of about 2,100mA-H, at 1.2V nominal, for a power capacity of

• 2.52 W-H

And it weighs 27g (I like the 20-30g, LOL). So, about 93mW/g.

For example Canon G12 battery has ~60g and ~7000mAh capacity.

Actually, it weighs 45g, and has a capacity of 1,050mA-H at 7.4V nominal, or...

• 7.77 W-H.

And that's 173mW/g.

So, two AAs will give you about the same capacity and weight of a Lithium battery.

If you define "half" as "about the same".

Charging takes about the same.

Anyway, even if AA size/form will prevent Canon, nikon, sony and other from using the latest technology, they can simply use/define another standard battery type.
EU has defined a standard for phone chargers

Yes, they "defined" it two years after the mini-USB connector had shaken in the actual market place.

That's not going to happen with camera batteries.

in order to prevent trowing a good charger and generating a lot of waste. But battery is more toxic waste than other accessories and we really need a way to standardize this item. There are tons of good batteries thrown away because of greed of Japanese corporations.

Pardon me, but I moved something you said at the beginning of your little rant down here, where it makes more sense.

Using proprietary accessories will bring more money to companies. This is the only reason to make them.

No. I listed (and even numbered) eight good reasons. You're obviously not an engineer, your total botch of the power and weight calculations shows that, so I won't go over the reliability math in detail, but to get the same capacity from AA batteries requires, literally, twice as many cells, and 4x as many connections (the "greed of Japanese corporations" gives you two contact points instead of 8) which means, given the same rate of cell and contact failure, 8 times the reliability . There's also better cold weather performance, no outgassing, the better power/weight ratio, the ability to have an accurate "power remaining" meter....

Despite what all brainwashed people said,

Take a good, long look in the mirror, because you're the one who has been "brainwashed" into believing that large corporations are all automatically "evil".

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow