SB-800 vs SB-900/910

Started Dec 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Wanchese Senior Member • Posts: 2,517
Re: SB-800 vs SB-900/910

I am a big of the SB-900. I have two that are my workhorses, and use two SB-800s for backup and fill. The 200mm zoom is a boon to me. I get more consistent coverage of the entire frame as well, when needed. The lightning quick recycle with SD-9 batt packs is awesome. And the ability to turn off the thermal protection is very handy. I beat the stuffing out of my gear, shooting full power manual almost exclusively, usually over 1,000 pops during the course of a weekend.

I consider my flash guns as expendables, and fully expect to send them to El Segundo every six months or so for various problems. I consider the cost of repairs just another part of overhead. Yesterday, I had both Sb-900 bulbs blow out within 30mins of each other. One was on camera, the other on a hot shoe. I will get 'em fixed and keep flogging them into submission until they are dust.

I scoff at you prim a donas who treat the Sb-900s like Rembrandts. They are tools. If you go to a job and don't have backup gear, it's your own fault if you can't keep working, whether you are a carpenter, cop or photographer.

-- hide signature --

You Will Never Walk Alone

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow