Samyang 8mm fisheye for Pentax

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129
Samyang 8mm fisheye for Pentax

Hi guys,

Recently I purchased a Samyang fisheye 8mm lens and I would like to point out that it has an electronic contact on the bayonet which communicates with the camera body on Pentax models,it seems that it the only fitting that has this feature! This means that the lens using Av on the mode dial operates the diaphragm from the front and rear dials giving automatic exposure. When switching the camera on the screen asks for the focal length proposing 8mm focal length (this for the image stabilization) enter OK ,set the focus manually to approx 3 mtrs,the camera to Av and your set to shoot! Comments on the lens;it is very well made and is mainly of metal with some plastic,good construction, the focus ring is well damped but has a little bit of play when changing focus direction. Image quality; the center is sharp from full aperture but the edges are very soft,stopping down to 5.6 helps to sharpen up the edges, F8 brings further improvement but in spite of reviews showing a drop in resolution at F11 I have found the opposite finding fully sharp images across the frame at this aperture! I checked the posted images to see if my results corresponded and it seems that my findings correspond with their images. It's not a main stream lens a fisheye but at this price it cannot be beaten especially considering that it has autoexposure on the Pentax bayonet!
--
Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow