Adobe Camera Raw sharpen?

Started Dec 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,509
Re: Adobe Camera Raw sharpen?

NumberOne wrote:

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

In many ways, if this is true, it negates any statements I might have made earlier and speaks to a huge hole in the ACR/PS processing pipeline.

Sorry, but I really don't follow you here - Please clarify your statement.

'earlier' referred to an earlier post that I made in this thread regarding the processing of our RAW files. PS really treats ACR as a separate entity and 'RAW development' is a first-process and is not integrated seamlessly into the entire pipeline as it appears to be in LR. At this point in time I am unconvinced that true sharpening is even affected by the ACR sliders but rather those sliders provide a variant on acutance enhancement (micro contrast). Thus when we 'sharpen' in ACR it is, by its nature, performed early in the image creation process and not at an appropriate point near the end. That’s one of the reasons I don't sharpen in ACR but that appears not be a valid criticism of LR.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow