Adobe Camera Raw sharpen?

Started Dec 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Re: Adobe Camera Raw sharpen?

NumberOne wrote:

If you are working with Lightroom/ACR, there are some advantages on processing it while at RAW:

First, LR offers since version 3.xx a very good sharpening tool (natively), and you aren't changing your original if you use/save your settings/adjustments on the sidecar file; with the "History" feature you also always know what settings/adjustments you used.

Second, LR will optimize the process placing it on the correct pipeline order, no matter when you do (or edit) your sharpening settings/values.

I don't work with LR so I find your comments very interesting.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you open a RAW image in LR...the sharpening that is applied at that point is only applied late in the process of the final development...and there is really only one place to sharpen your images when in LR anyway?

In many ways, if this is true, it negates any statements I might have made earlier and speaks to a huge hole in the ACR/PS processing pipeline.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow