60D on Auto with 15-85 not focussing

Started Dec 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Martin Ocando
Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 5,627
Re: 60D on Auto with 15-85 not focussing

When you ask questions like this, if you can provide a picture to show us what are you trying to focus on to, would be much more useful for us to try to help you. Other than that, we would just be assuming.

Rockin_Robin wrote:

Hi, Recently purchased the 60D and 15-85 lens. Superb camera and lens combo in my opinion but I'm getting an issue that I'd like your opinion as to whether it's a setting problem (i.e. my fault) or is a problem.

Only found it by accident when I took a photo of some wallpapering I'd done to send to my daughter. I was standing facing the wall so the camera was on the same plane as the paper. I took a photo on full auto and when I transferred it to my computer I noticed it was fuzzy or out of focus but not by much. Went back and took another on full auto - the same fuzzy OOF image. Then I took one on Program and bingo - pin sharp. I took in all about 30 photos on both full auto and program and every one followed the same rule - full auto fuzzy, program pin sharp. I deduced that it was the fact that on full auto the focus is fixed on AI Focus. When I tried the other basic modes e.g. portrait etc the images came out pin sharp but are on One Shot.

Put simply if the camera is on a tripod and on full auto it focusses at a given distance. Switch the camera to program and take another picture and the distance changes - whilst fixed on a tripod surely this shouldn't happen.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone about this issue and particularly if anyone else has found this.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow