Lightroom and Olympus a poor match? Colour issues...

Started Dec 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
don_van_vliet Contributing Member • Posts: 618
Lightroom and Olympus a poor match? Colour issues...

I am trying out Lightroom with a view to purchasing. Whilst I like the product in general, I am having issues with colours when processing my Olympus EPL1 files.

I suppose you could say there are two problems:

1) In general I prefer the Olympus colours produced by it's own software (e.g. in camera JPG and by ib/Olympus Viewer). Whilst it is possible to play with the colours in Lightroom via camera/DNG profiles, it is quite tricky to do so, and optimising for one scene can end up ruining another.

2) Lightroom gives some bizarre 'wrong' looking colours now and again. This seems to happen in shadows the most. Under certain circumstances shadow regions appear over saturated, with what looks like the wrong colour. E.g. I have a sunset scene that shows over-saturated purple fringes on waves in shadow.

I could probably live with 1) by doing my best to make a colour profile, and then tweaking on a per-image basis if I am not happy. I am not sure I can live with 2).

It's a shame as I find the Olympus software quite limiting, but don't like the Lightroom colours! Has anyone else experienced similar, or any comments/wisdom to share? If I get time I may get round to posting an example or two.

Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow