AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,502
Re: Batteries, zooms, and inventions...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Of course...Li-ion batteries hold a lot more charge than any AA battery can, except perhaps Lithium AA batteries,

There's no "perhaps" there. All "optimal" lithium chemistry batteries, whether secondary (rechargeable) like the common Li-Ion and Li-Polymer formulas, or primary (not rechargeable) Li-MnO2 most often seen in "coin" lithium batteries are very efficient, but they are all 3.3-3.7V chemistry.

Since that would destroy AA using devices, AA Lithium primary battery designs deliberately use inefficient chemistry like Li-FeS2, to get their operating voltage down to 1.5V. This cuts their efficiency a good 60%, and puts them right down in the trenches with the Alkaline and NiOx primaries, or Ni-Mh secondaries.

Perhaps this (efficiency) is not the relevant factor. I just bought a pocket-cam which uses AAs. I tried it with the provided alkalines and got about 180 shots -- not quite as good as Ni-MH or Li-ion rechargeables on the average. However, I switched to Lithium AAs next and am well past 1300 shots on the set -- don't know when they'll wear out. And they weigh about half what alkalines or Ni-MHs weigh. This excellent aspect of performance seems to be ignored in the negative postings in this thread.

Forget alkalines and Ni-MH rechargeables -- they're old technology.

I use Li-ion rechargeables in all my other cameras and they are typically partially discharged when I need them, so I plan ahead when I know the schedule for their use. The new camera, however, has become my "grab-and-go" pocket camera (we seem to be talking pocket cams in this thread) It's a whole different way of operating and I love it.

Strange that you should post such an erroneous statement on November 23, very date of the Zoomar patent.

Maybe it was a test for you, Joseph.
--
Darrell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow