X100 working like a charm now - new lens unit - comments

Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 659
X100 working like a charm now - new lens unit - comments

I wrote on here a week ago saying that I sent my X100 off to Fuji Sydney to be repaired. All indications were looking as if the service would be terrible. I had written a few threads ago about my dealings with Fuji Australia and how I needed this thing repaired before I went to Vietnam in October. They did not move heaven and earth to do that for me so I took the defective camera to V/N for two weeks and shot everything in f2.

I had serious questions about the X100 if it could 'cut the mustard' when I will be in Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar in 2012 shooting for my website. I will be away for 7 months and need a second camera that is the real deal. I did not want to drag around another D700, so the X100 was going to be my 'wide angle lens'. My D700 has my trusted and proven 80-200 2.8D IFED.

Well, the X100 was repaired a week ago, and I am sure it was the new assembly everybody is talking about. Man it has revolutionized this thing. I have taken heaps and heaps of pics to make sure this thing is tested before I go away in early January 2012. Everything just seems to work better, the pics look gorgeous, the aperture ring has a more ratchety, solid feel to it, and I am just loving the experience of this camera. Fuji service worked out great and they had it back to me in Western Australia (I am in a desert town so mail takes ages to get to this isolated area), in a week and a half!!

My criticisms from V/N were that the start up time was too slow and auto-focus was too slow. I found the quick start-up mode and that has made a big difference. I also have started using the auto-focus with touching the afl button. Then if I am taking many shots of something at the same distance, it does not have to re-focus each time, just shoots very quickly. I also use manual a lot, but touch that afl button again, and that focuses and holds it there for many shots.

I am also using manual with the depth of field scale at the bottom. That is brilliant. So now when I am taking candids in the street, and don't want people to see me focusing on them, because then they react and I may lose the shot. I just point the camera at something else the same distance away as them, lock in manual, check I am in a suitable aperture for the depth of field (read off the scale at the bottom) - then whammo - I just bring it up and shoot them in an instant. Every time perfect focus and they have no time to react.

This is the type of photography I will be doing in Asia, and I really think now I have mastered the X100, it will be great. I love the thick creamy pic's I get on RAW and 'Apple Aperture' and in some ways they are just as good as my D700.

I have also looked in the lens, put it on f16, locked on manual and touched the shutter hundreds of times. The aperture blades still close perfectly every time, and have not missed a beat.

I am slowly starting to get my confidence back in Fuji and have fallen in love with the X100 experience all over again.

Sutto

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow