Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,583
My 1 year old and 3 year old are getting cameras for Christmas

Has your daughter been out unsupervised with her current camera? I'd let her take one of your old existing cameras out a few times first before buying her a new one to use unsupervised.

I love my children. They are smart and they are my world but I do not think they are geniuses. Kids are generally capable though. Both my kids have helped me take pictures with my DSLR (though the camera does not leave my hand).

My 3 year old son uses a Canon A590IS that has a large dust blob on the sensor that shows up at small aperture. He's been using the camera supervised since he was 2 1/2. Most of the time he wants to take pictrues of the floor tiles and of his toys, but occassionally he shoots a competent portrait of his sister or mother. I find I have to remind him not to cover the flash or lens and I often have to clean the lens of finger prints. He certainly doesn't use the mode dial (he's just starting to recognise letters and numbers).

My 1 year old daughter wants to join in. She keeps trying to take the camera from her brother and my wife. My wife bought her a 1MP $30 camera. I returned it and this Christmas she'll be getting a Samsung ES30 that produces great pictures in good light and has a decent flash for a point and shoot. I bought her camera in pink and I expect that she'll likely trash it before she's done. So long as it lasts a month or two it'll be better than some of the junk toys I've bought. Again she'll use it supervised.

I have no dillusions about them growing up to be famous world class photographers. How far they go and in what area is up to them. I just don't want a good picture that they do manage to take ruined by garbage equipment.

I honestly don't think there is a "tough" camera out there that will stand up to being abused by a toddler.

-- hide signature --

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow