Would the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS make a noticeable improvement on this pic?

Started Nov 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP geepondy Senior Member • Posts: 2,250
Thanks

I thought I had uploaded the full size image to the DP gallery? Here it is again, uploaded to my Picasa web album. It appears not to be the original size but I think you can download the original photo?

https://picasaweb.google.com/110062237402303330006/ConvertedRawToJpg#5677411729774218642

As mentioned the image was processed with DXO Optics. I left it in auto mode except to change the color temperature so it might have been overzealous with some of the exposure compensation. Sometimes I think it tries too hard for that "HDR" look, hence the curtains were lightened considerably. The AF settings was set to center point but usually what I try to do is focus on a body and then recompose if necessary.

NetMage wrote:

It is hard to say anything about sharpness with the low resolution image in your post, but it appears pretty sharp to me, though it seems focused a bit closer than the main subject - how were your AF settings?

As far as perspective correction, you can do that with Elements or lots of other software, though I did this correction with PaintShop Photo Pro as it has the best tool for this, I think. You simply match a rectangular area to be straightened, and the whole picture is adjusted so that rectangle appears parallel to the picture edges. It can cause your image to become softer, but again it is hard to see at this resolution.

I also darkened/saturated the image some, as it seemed to me to have too much flash, possibly caused by the dark curtain fooling the exposure calculation.

geepondy's gear list:geepondy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G7 X II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow