AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
synp Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Re: Standardization is hard...

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

We're close to that, right now. the big problem is the same as lens mounts.

• Nikon believes in a 3 terminal charging port, with the battery pack control chip and the cells sharing a common ground. Canon believes in 4 terminals and a floating ground for the chip.

No we're not! Some camera models share batteries, but even within one manufacturer there might be 10 to 20 different batteries to suit various cameras in their range. Camera batteries for a new generation of camera MIGHT be backwards compatible (eg. D90 enel3e works with d80, d70 but D70/D80 enel3 - no e - batteries don't work in the D90. Move up to D7000 and it's a different battery again - and this time it IS at least partly due to regulation so that the contacts are no longer exposed).

• Sony likes shrouded pin contacts, while Nikon and Canon like exposed wiping contacts.

D7000 battery shrouds the contacts. Not sure what the relevant standard is but there is one involved. I read about it somewhere...I think Thom Hogan's site possibly?

So you see? We are getting closer.

But right now, there's no pressure, either from the market place, or from government organizations, to say "you all need to agree on a standard across all manufacturers".

There are existing standards - take a look at all the compliance logos on your battery some time - they just don't cover the form factor.

True, but most of them involve safety or things perceived as safety, not things related to interoperability.

Personally, I don't see it ever happening. Lens mounts have been a hash for decades.

Imagine the uproar if lenses you bought only worked for 3 or 4 body models. The reason there isn't one for batteries is that the batteries are typically 10 to 100 times cheaper than the lenses. But it is still wasteful, and has more to do with customer lockin than technical constraints.

I think it has more to do with batteries being disposable. Sure they are rechargeable, but depending on usage, most batteries will have to be replaced within 2-5 years, in line with the camera body's life cycle. By the time by D70 gave up the ghost at 4 years old, I could only get about 100-150 pictures on a battery charge vs 300-400 when it (and the battery) were new.

People have been using 10, 20 and 40 year old lenses regularly on modern cameras, with a few caveats for the 40-year-olds.

Lenses outlive bodies. Batteries barely survive them.

synp's gear list:synp's gear list
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow