Picasa Web vs Flickr, I know it's been done but everybody is different
I got such a great response to my first thread I thought I'd try another.
I'm a beginner with a D3100, keen to improve and share my photos. Some of mine are personal but I have no problem sharing others, licence and copyright-permitting. Maybe some people will enjoy them, and maybe I'll get some tips on how to improve.
I know the pros and cons of all sites are well-documented, but perhaps here I can get some personal guidance.
I use Facebook for a few photos for my "real life" connections, but of course the quality isn't the best and it means people who I don't know can't see my photos. I'd like to share some with the wider community.
I like Picasa Web as it's easy to configure sharing, cheap storage, stores original resolution, and many people have Google accounts.
I like Flickr as it's meant to be more serious from the photography point of view. However not a lot of people I know have accounts. I also find the UI incredibly powerful, it is meant to have a great pro community and I seem to have the feeling that it is here that I should really put my photos if I take pride in them.
So my strategy is:
1. Upload a very few to Facebook for friends' feedback (I won't get much feedback on 2 and 3 as not enough of them have accounts).
2. Upload most to Picasa Web for people who want to browse through larger quantities and who have Google accounts for private photos.
3. Upload a few to Flickr - the ones I consider most impressive, so as not to dilute the quality, and not to hit the monthly upload limit. Flickr doesn't seem like a site where people upload all their snaps from some holiday or whatever, but I could be wrong.
I would probably ditch Picasa and use Flickr instead if more of my contacts had accounts, for photos that I don't want to make public. Has anybody here moved from one to the other, and would you go back? Am I creating a headache here by considering maintaining Picasa Web and Flickr accounts?
Comments appreciated, I'm getting confused.
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Nov 18, 2011|
|Nov 19, 2011|
|Nov 19, 2011|
- Fujifilm X-T223.6%
- Nikon D50025.4%
- Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E8.2%
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F47.5%
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G857.2%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art6.7%
- Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 Art5.1%
- Sony a63006.4%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III3.7%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V6.3%
|Lighthouse, Bottom of the World by CelticOdyssey|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 12, L
|Dundrum by Rik Powdrill|