AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
Re: Standardized rechargeable Li-Ion AA?

Sammy Yousef wrote:

T3 wrote:

dona2 wrote:

The SX40's "very expensive" battery is the NB-10L, which can be bought for under $20, measures a mere 1.5 x 1.4 x 0.5 inch, and weighs 1.3 oz (36.8 grams)

How much will it cost in 5 years? And why should he throw away the camera when he can no longer find that battery?

Also what happens when ALL the manufacturers start chipping the batteries. Good luck finding a cheap knock-off like the one you linked. For right now you just risk getting something that will leak and destroy your camera (small risk, particularly if you're savvy about how and where you buy). Mark my words: Pay per shot is not too far away.

Well, just more proof of how illogical and foolish you are. Yeah, I'll take you up on your prediction. I'll definitely mark your word about your prediction that "pay per shot is not too far away." I'd be more than happy to take that bet. Heck, why don't you start a thread with your prediction as the topic. See how many others will agree with you. And I'd very much like everyone else to see who foolish you are. Not just on the topic of AA battery use but also this even more ridiculous notion that future cameras will be "pay per shot." Clearly, you have no understanding of how the market works, and how market forces cause certain features to succeed while other features fail,. That's what happened with AA batteries vs proprietary batteries, and the same will happen if some company came out with a "pay per shot" camera.

But feel free to keep up the crazy. It's very entertaining! LOL

Four AA batteries, on the other hand, take up more space. As for weight, the average weight of AA batteries is:

alkaline AA: 23 g
lithium AA: 15 g
rechargeable NiMH AA: 31 g

So four AA batteries will weigh from 60 grams to as much as 124 grams, compared to the 36.8 grams of an NB-4L battery!

Oh no, I'm going to have to carry up to 87 more GRAMS around. The back strain!!! Just think how much that will cost in exccess baggage!

> Seriously not even worth considering.

Uh, we're not talking about carrying it in your baggage, where such a small relative amount of weight is insignificant. But when it comes to something you carry in your pocket or in your hand, it becomes significant. Or to think of it another way, 87 grams is equivalent to taping two additional NB-4L batteries (actually, almost two and half additional NB-4L's) to the camera. That definitely is noticeable.

Plus, it isn't just about the weight. It's also about dealing with one battery vs four batteries. In addition, it isn't just about dealing with one battery vs four batteries. It's also about dealing with four batteries with polarities requiring that each of them be installed in the correct orientation in the camera. I'm sure all of us have encountered the annoyance of installing multiple AA batteries, only to find that the device won't work because one of the batteries was installed in the wrong polarity orientation-- something that you don't have to deal with when using a proprietary battery which can only be installed in one direction. So as you can see, it's not just about weight. It's also about the number of batteries you have to deal with, and their orientations.

Plus, regarding weight, you also forget that multiple sets of batteries multiplies the weight difference even more. Plus, you multiply the number of batteries significantly. Heck, just having two sets of batteries means the difference between just two OEM batteries vs eight AA batteries, for example! And it becomes more complicated knowing which of those batteries are fresh, vs spent. It all multiplies. But I wouldn't expect you to have considered that, because I suspect multiplication might be beyond your skill level, LOLOLOL

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow