AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655
Re: Standardized rechargeable Li-Ion AA?

T3 wrote:

dona2 wrote:

The SX40's "very expensive" battery is the NB-10L, which can be bought for under $20, measures a mere 1.5 x 1.4 x 0.5 inch, and weighs 1.3 oz (36.8 grams)

How much will it cost in 5 years? And why should he throw away the camera when he can no longer find that battery?

Also what happens when ALL the manufacturers start chipping the batteries. Good luck finding a cheap knock-off like the one you linked. For right now you just risk getting something that will leak and destroy your camera (small risk, particularly if you're savvy about how and where you buy). Mark my words: Pay per shot is not too far away.

Four AA batteries, on the other hand, take up more space. As for weight, the average weight of AA batteries is:

alkaline AA: 23 g
lithium AA: 15 g
rechargeable NiMH AA: 31 g

So four AA batteries will weigh from 60 grams to as much as 124 grams, compared to the 36.8 grams of an NB-4L battery!

Oh no, I'm going to have to carry up to 87 more GRAMS around. The back strain!!! Just think how much that will cost in exccess baggage!

Seriously not even worth considering.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow