AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
mrsfixit
mrsfixit Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: some people will never get it.

Sammy Yousef wrote:

It's amazing how obtuse some people can be. Yes, they can design "around" AA batteries, and manufacturers have designed "around" AA batteries. But the fact is that more modern and more camera-specific batteries make a much more efficient and tailored use of space than the 64 year old AA battery form factor!

So come up with several new standard sizes. It's not hard. Re-read what I wrote. I'm advocating a standard battery, not that we stick with AA batteries.

Why can't they use rechargeable 9V batteries?

My husband has a tiny guitar amp that uses 9V batteries. I bought some high capacity Powerex NiMH rechargeables, and they work great and last a long time.

The 9V NiMH battery is almost identical in size and weight to the proprietary battery I use in my Canon G11.

So IMO yes, manufacturers could design cameras using these, except for the tiniest of cameras. But many manufacturers would rather lock you in to their battery, they make more money that way.

And in the case of the Panasonic chipped batteries, they force you to buy an overpriced Panasonic OEM battery, so they make even more money on you.

I would rather have to take 2 chargers- one for AA, one for 9V- on trips rather than the 6 or 7 I have to take now, and have the option, in an emergency- of finding batteries that will work- locally.

And BTW- chargers do die. So if you're on the vacation and your charger drops dead on you, good luck charging that proprietary battery.

Candice in PA

-- hide signature --

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross."

-- Sinclair Lewis

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow