AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655
Re: some people will never get it.

T3 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

So come up with several new standard sizes. It's not hard. Re-read what I wrote. I'm advocating a standard battery, not that we stick with AA batteries.

You still don't get it. There are "several new standard sizes". For example, Canon's 60D, 7D, and 5D MKII all have "standard"-ized around the LP-E6 battery. Future XXD cameras will also use the LP-E6. The future 7D MKII, MKIII, 5D MKIII will also use the LP-E6. In their compact cameras, Canon's NB-5L is the "standard" battery for their SD700IS, SD790IS, SD800IS, SD850IS, SD870IS, SD880IS, SD890IS, SD900, SD950IS, SD990IS, SD970IS & SX200IS, S90, S95, S100, etc., cameras. There's plenty of standardization around "several new stand sizes".

No I really don't get it. Just because 1 camera manufacturer shares batteries among several models, you call it a standard.

You're just too blind to see it. But as for standardization across different camera brands, I'm sure the camera manufacturers wouldn't mind doing so, but its hard standardizing anything across multiple camera brands, and it's probably just not worth the trouble.

Not worth the trouble! Ha! The reason is that another company would then be able to sell you batteries cheaper. As it is they're chipping cameras to prevent knock-offs.

You seem to have the false assumption that every camera in their brand uses a different battery.

Where did you pull that from? Elsewhere on this thread I have mentioned that Nikon D90 batteries work with D80 and D70 (and D300 I believe). That doesn't make them a standard battery.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow