AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,014
Re: some people will never get it.

Sammy Yousef wrote:

So come up with several new standard sizes. It's not hard. Re-read what I wrote. I'm advocating a standard battery, not that we stick with AA batteries.

You still don't get it. There are "several new standard sizes". For example, Canon's 60D, 7D, and 5D MKII all have "standard"-ized around the LP-E6 battery. Future XXD cameras will also use the LP-E6. The future 7D MKII, MKIII, 5D MKIII will also use the LP-E6. In their compact cameras, Canon's NB-5L is the "standard" battery for their SD700IS, SD790IS, SD800IS, SD850IS, SD870IS, SD880IS, SD890IS, SD900, SD950IS, SD990IS, SD970IS & SX200IS, S90, S95, S100, etc., cameras. There's plenty of standardization around "several new stand sizes". You're just too blind to see it. But as for standardization across different camera brands, I'm sure the camera manufacturers wouldn't mind doing so, but its hard standardizing anything across multiple camera brands, and it's probably just not worth the trouble.

...and I repeat again. Camera manufacturers must work around the size and shape of many other components to build their cameras. The battery is just one more component. And there are only a handful of practical shapes. Usually some kind of rectangular box, possibly with rounded edges and corners.

Yes, the camera manufacturers are working around certain standardized batteries. Just look at the Canon example I mentioned above. You seem to have the false assumption that every camera in their brand uses a different battery. That's just not the case. Furthermore, it makes sense for a camera manufacturer to be able to control such an important component as the power source for their product, especially for products that are so power intensive. You can't just dismiss it as "just one more component." Camera manufacturers put their own customized sensors, processors, LCD's, etc, into their cameras all the time. The only difference is that the battery just happens to be the customized component that is user-removable. But that doesn't mean that they can't customize that as well, if they see fit to.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow