AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Alternative Energy Photography Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?

Part 2 to my post above. Yeah, I'm just as blabby in real life, too.

Environmentalism

I do not use rechargables for the assorted watches or remote controls I have. They're not even available for CR-2032, CR-2025, or other "button style" form factors. AA and AAA rechargables are expensive and drain over time when sitting, making them not well suited for low-drain devices such as DVR or TV remotes. I'd have to recharge them more often, and as somebody else already said in this thread, batteries don't make good hobbies!

My employer collects used batteries of all types. There are buckets and buckets of batteries on various drop-tables and mail-drops all around my work location. I never see them get emptied. What's up with that?

I hear the horror stories about battery disposal, but I have never seen any numbers, so I must question all the screaming and yelling. I think the green lobby may be "glossing over" the details and making the AA battery disposal problem seem worse than it may really be.

Yes, of course proper disposal is the right and moral thing to do. Most cities in the US have "some" way to recycle batteries and hazardous household waste, some are even free. But I have to say I am suspicous of the vocal nature of the Battery Disposal Police.