AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,257
Re: Don't let your Lithium ion freeze

Midwest wrote:

Ring A wrote:

Years ago I purchased 2 Sony Lithium ion camcorder batteries through Amazon. They came from Abe's of Main (that's when they were still in Main). They looked new but neither one would take a charge. They sent two more, same thing, couldn't charge them. Sony replaced all 4 and picked up the bad ones.

Sony said they had been in freezing temperatures too long.

When my organization was researching to purchase a large number of laptop PC's we needed to make sure they would be sturdy and survive field use. One of the brands (we ended up purchasing them) was Panasonic and on their website they had a video or some sort of presentation from some group which had accidentally left one of their laptops in the back of a pickup truck out in the snow. For months the laptop was actually encased in ice. When it was thawed out, it powered on as though nothing had happened. Those lith ion batteries didn't seem to have any problem. I suspect Sony blamed defective batteries on having been > frozen as a more convenient 'out' for them. Why not?

Everyone with past experience using older Lithium ion batteries knows that there was a high self discharge rate back then compared to modern Lithium ion batteries now.

Sony claimed that the power ran down low enough that these could no longer be charged. And because these were stored for months in the freezing basement of a merchant in Maine the freezing temperature played a part.

Fact is ..... Freezing temperatures do help run battery power down.

This if from Battery University ...
Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To help prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow