AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more.

But what happens if you forget to charge your battery and it's near dead or has sat for a while and has become dead and you want to use the camera right away? You're SOL unless you have a 2nd battery, which the average P&S user probably won't have.

What happens if you forget to recharge your AA's? and if you don't have a backup set of batteries? Get a spare lith ion battery (or set of batteries, if AA's) and keep the backup(s) charged. If someone hasn't the foresight to do something that simple then I have no sympathy for them no matter what kind of batteries they use.

Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

Chargers? Who said anything about chargers?

I will. I found the AA battery chargers to be clunky messy affairs with power bricks and a cord or two, a lot less convenient (and slower by far) than a regular lith ion battery charger. You have to buy a AA charger. The one for my lith ions came with my camera and cost me $0.00.

I have several family members that use standard AA batteries in devices and don't deal with rechargeable batteries. They buy a huge box and always have them if needed. Plus AAs can be bought practically everywhere around the world.

I use AA's for lots of things. Just not in my high tech stuff like cameras.

Plus they are cheap compared to a special li-ion battery that might cost $30 to $60.

I can buy a lith ion battery for $5 that will probably be working long after a $10 set of AA's has gone to the recycling. $30 to $60? Maybe $30 for a name brand Panny battery, but it too will last at least a few years.

See, there are very valid reasons for AA batteries.

I used to buy into that 'you can get AA's anywhere in case of an emergency!' thing but once I got rid of my AA powered camera, I stopped HAVING those 'emergencies'.

-- hide signature --

Art is far superior to "artsy".

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow