AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: No to AA's

Erick L wrote:

T3 wrote:

Erick L wrote:

BTW, there are AA-size Li-ion batteries on the market so there's no reason why manufacturers couldn't use standard size batteries. One 7$ 3.6v 18500 Li-ion battery is no bigger than the 28$ panasonic battery in my P&S. The charger isn't any bigger either and it can charge two batteries.

Again, a proprietary square or rectangular battery is a more efficient use of limited space (ie, they pack more power into a small space) than a bunch of AA batteries.

I'm not talking about AAs but standard-size li-ion. They DO exist. ONE 18500 battery has the same voltage and more capacity, and is no bigger than the square battery in my P&S. The charger is no bigger either and unlike the proprietary charger, it can charge two batteries at once. Two 18500 batteries could power my D5100. Two of those aren't any bigger than the single D5100 battery, and the charger is smaller than Nikon's. Which is more efficient?

I have three cameras and whenever I travel, I have to bring along three chargers and three sets of batteries. I'd rather bring one standard charger and batteries.

This is exactly what the Cordless Power Tool mfg. have done .... look at Milwaukee and Makita ...... dozens of tools all using the same battery

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow