AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655
Re: Don't let your Lithium ion freeze

Ring A wrote:

Why folks go out and purchase the newest equipment without money being a factor yet shriek at the extra battery cost?

I don't know too many folks that are carefully with their money but throw it away on batteries, or too many that spend money like it's going out of style or balk at new batteries. However if there are such people it is probably due to the fact that the batteries don't give you any new or improved capability - they just power the camera like the last battery powered the last camera. When a camera enthusiast spends on gear it is usually so they can have a new capability or improve an existing one.

Now lets say I buy 1 camera a year (modest if you're a hobbyist with a family and include all their cameras in the list). Let's say each battery costs $35 and you like to have 2 spares on hand. Over 10 years, there's $1050 right there.

Now let's do the same with AA. It's more like $20 per pack, and you can share them between cameras. Over 10 years that's $600 if you don't want to move sets between cameras. If you do, it's considerably less (but your battery will die in 3-5 years not 10, so let's leave it there).

So $450 buys you one or two new point and shoots, or a good tripod and camera bag, or a nice lens or a nice flash. It's not a small amount of money. Why wouldn't you consider it?

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow