AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,008
Re: No to AA's

Erick L wrote:

Yeah right, the "market". It's not like consumers even had much choice. Of course, this has nothing to do with manufacturers being able to sell more expensive accessories (a D5100 batt here is around 100$, no kidding) or detect 3rd party batteries.

The market is definitely a big part of it. Consumers have generally chosen cameras with proprietary batteries. For one reason, a proprietary battery packs more power in a smaller space than a bunch of AA's, which is a more efficient use of space. This effects the overall design and size of a product. And overall design and size of a product is definitely one factor in why consumers choose one product over another.

BTW, there are AA-size Li-ion batteries on the market so there's no reason why manufacturers couldn't use standard size batteries. One 7$ 3.6v 18500 Li-ion battery is no bigger than the 28$ panasonic battery in my P&S. The charger isn't any bigger either and it can charge two batteries.

Again, a proprietary square or rectangular battery is a more efficient use of limited space (ie, they pack more power into a small space) than a bunch of AA batteries. Also, most people would much rather deal with a single compact battery than a bunch of AA batteries. Think about it, would you rather have a single compact proprietary battery in your pocket, or four AA batteries tumbling around in your pocket? And at the enthusiast or pro level, where these users are more likely to have spare batteries, these users much prefer to have a couple compact proprietary camera batteries in their camera bag than a dozen AA batteries taking up space in their camera bags. Heck, I wish my strobes took the same proprietary batteries as my cameras, or even their own type of proprietary battery, because I hate dealing with AA batteries!. If I have three sets of AA batteries for my flash, that's 12 AA batteries (the flash takes 4 batteries). And since I have two flashes, that's 24 AA batteries!!! All those AA batteries take up a lot of space, weigh a lot, clutter things up and are a pain to deal with because there are so many of them!!! Why do you think pro bodies like the Canon 1-series and the Nikon D3 series, which have built-in battery grips, use a single large proprietary battery rather than a bunch of AA batteries? Well, it's for the same reasons I mentioned above: a single large proprietary battery is a much more efficient use of space, and dealing with one or two large proprietary batteries is much more convenient than dealing with dozens of AA batteries spilling all over the place!!!!!!!

And the end of the day, proprietary batteries easily win out over AA batteries for the simple fact that they are a much more efficient use of space than AA batteries. Smaller size, less weight, more power packed into that space. When you put a proprietary battery next to a bunch of AA's, it practically makes those AA's look archaic in design and form factor. And of course, they are archaic in design and form factor because the AA form factor was first introduced in 1947!!!! LOL!

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow