AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,677
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?

I would never use battery size as a reason not to upgrade. I don't regret for one minute upgrading my 30D to the 7D. The camera is so much better that having to buy one extra battery simply doesn't make a difference, even though I still use the 30D as a backup.

Besides, the rechargeable li-ions have a finite life. At some point they won't hold a charge and will need to be replaced anyway.

Mark

Sammy Yousef wrote:

This is not a real name wrote:

As an example, the first Canon Ixus camera came out in 2000. Eleven years later, the NB1L battery it takes is still pretty widely available, but how many people are still using that camera?

As a camera enthusiast I avoid proprietary batteries whenever I can. If I can share 2 or 3 sets of AA batteries between 7 or 8 cameras for myself, my wife and my kids, buying yet another camera is no big deal. Even if the camera dies the batteries still can be used. However if I need to shell out $20-$50 per battery per camera it gets very expensive and puts me off buying my next camera. If I'm not using the camera much I really can't justify the expense and effort of ordering another battery - either original and 3 times the price it should be, or a knock off that may or may not work.

There should be standard Lithium battery sizes and voltages just as there are for NiCd/NiMH. There is only one reason this is not the case - planned obsolescence.

For SLRs where I can't use AA, I've purchased multiple bodies that are the same (2nd body usually at its cheapest on closeout) and upgraded less often. For instance it is one factor in why I won't upgrade from Nikon D90 to D7000. My D90 batteries (ENL3e) work in both D90 and D70 (which takes both ENEL3 and ENEL3e) and I was still miffed that I couldn't use the ENEL3 batteries I already had. D7000 uses a new battery (I think in part to comply with new saftey standards, but that doesn't change the reality for me as a consumer).

So the greed on the manufacturer's part can in fact back fire. I buy less cameras, buy cameras at their cheapest on close out instead of upgrading. I'm pretty sure that's not what a DSLR manufacturer wants from an enthusiast.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow