Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
you have it backwards

Ring A wrote:

T3 wrote:

Ring A wrote:

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

And yet I've found that the sales of cameras with proprietary rechargeable > batteries overwhelmingly outsell cameras with AA batteries.

But that's because most cameras today use proprietary .... phew, tough one

There used to be plenty of cameras that used AA batteries. But as time went > on, the ones with proprietary batteries outsold the ones that used AA batteries.

But only because of the options that the MFG left was propitiatory or buy another camera.

Sorry, pal, but the market has spoken. Small electronic devices (mp3 players, cameras, cell phones, tablets, etc.) all tend to sell better when they have compact proprietary batteries. No one is screaming for cell phones or mp3 players that use AA batteries. And quite frankly, fewer people prefer to buy cameras that use AA batteries, too, even though they sit on store shelves right next to the ones that use proprietary batteries. If cameras that used AA batteries truly were more popular, then that's what the manufacturers would be offering! After all, that would be a cost savings for the camera maunfacturers. That would mean that they wouldn't have to include an OEM battery and charger with every camera they sold! It simply isn't financially advantageous to have to put a proprietary battery and charger in every camera package they sell. And most people never buy an additional battery, so the manufacturers don't really make any money off of additional battery sales. Not to mention that there are third-party clone batteries that people can buy for cheaper. So your assertion that manufacturers schemed to force everyone into using proprietary batteries just doesn't hold water. In reality, it's the market that drove manufacturers in that direction. If manufacturers had their way, they'd just throw a couple cheap alkalines into every camera package to get you started, and that'd be that. But that's not what consumers prefer. Consumers prefer small, compact, lightweight, rechargeable...and the best solution to achieve that was with proprietary OEM batteries.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow