AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
synp Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Nope, gasoline

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

lanef wrote:

Still the trend to me in my flash gun.

Indeed.

There are several items that I need for a successful commercial shoot. Many of them, like the lenses and tripods either require no power, or draw it from another device. However, there are four very critical power sources, and all are incompatible.

• Camera - runs on a rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack from 10-25 W-H, sufficient for one job.

• Flash - runs on AA NiMH cells, 10 W-H in a set of four, typically 8 sets (80 W-H) sufficient for one job.

• Car - runs on gasoline, 4 gallons, each gallon yielding 121 MJ of energy, or 130,000 W-H, round trip transportation for one job.

• Photographer - runs on pizza, cookies, tea, submarine sandwiches, bananas, etc. some 2000 calories per day, equivalent to 8.4 MJ of energy, or 2,300 W-H.

Why the heck don't the manufacturers fix this. I tell you, it's some sort conspiracy to get me to buy all these incompatible and proprietary power sources. The camera can't run on the gasoline, the AA NiMH cells, or the pizza.

Dang it, everything should be able to run on pizza. One power source, and that's it. Compatible with everything, availaible everywhere, and it can be made by small, independent companies or large, international megacorporations.

Seriously, we should all boycott Sony, Nikon, Sony, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Sony, Metz, Sony, Sunpak, Sony, Quantum, Sony, Ford, Sony, Toyota, Sony, Volkswagen, and especially, Sony, until they deliver what absolutely all photographers, everywhere, want more than anything else

Pizza powered cameras, flash units, and cars.

As you have noted yourself, gasoline has the highest energy density of all these power sources. We've been hearing for years about fuel cells and how you could fill one with hydrogen or gasoline, and it would have great performance (do you realize that "Marketing Myopia" was written 51 years ago?). Fuel cells could power flashes and cameras. The one standout is the photographer.

Here's a fun experiment. Fine a photographer who's low on energy, even lethargic. Say, he's been shooting in the desert all day and hasn't had enough to drink. Offer him a glass of gasoline, but don't tell him it's gasoline. Don't worry about the smell giving it away - dehydration weakens your sense of smell. Just one sip, and all the lethargy will be gone. He'll be running around, grabbing his head and making loud hacking noises. This, to me, is proof positive that the photographer can also run on gasoline. It's just that big Pizza has been conditioning us for years that we need their expensive pizza rather than cheap gasoline.

Fun fact: just one glass of gasoline can power a photographer for a whole day and costs less than a quarter even in the most high-tax countries..

synp's gear list:synp's gear list
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow