AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more.

But what happens if you forget to charge your battery and it's near dead or has sat for a while and has become dead and you want to use the camera right away? You're SOL unless you have a 2nd battery, which the average P&S user probably won't have.

In the time it takes you to run out to a store to buy some double AA batteries, you can have an OEM battery charged up enough to take at least a hundred shots. Heck, even a recharge of just a couple minutes is enough to take several shots. A 60 second charge can be enough for a shot or two. So there goes your "what happens if you forget to charge your battery" argument. The simple answer is to just charge it! A quick juice up good for a quick shot. And a "near dead" battery is still good enough to still use "right away." It's just not as big an issue as you're making it out to be. It's just a lot of FUD. Besides, in today's day and age, there are so many devices that people can use to take a shot "right away", including cell phones, that it makes your argument even weaker in real life. If there's a situation where we need to take a picture "right away", someone's always got a P&S camera ready to use or a cell phone camera ready to use. Just not a big deal.

Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

Chargers? Who said anything about chargers? I have several family members that use standard AA batteries in devices and don't deal with rechargeable batteries. They buy a huge box and always have them if needed. Plus AAs can be bought practically everywhere around the world. Plus they are cheap compared to a special li-ion battery that might cost $30 to $60.

Yeah, that's great for the environment! Where do you think that "huge box" of AA batteries ends up? In a landfill, where the battery acid leaks out. One reason why people prefer to use rechargeable batteries is because it's environmentally better than using throw-away batteries! Over the course of the their life, your family members will go through hundreds of throw-away batteries, or many "huge boxes" of throw-away batteries that end up in the trash. You must be so proud of your family! Yeah, you're probably snickering, saying "I don't care about the environment! I love driving the least fuel-efficient cars I can find and consuming as many throw-away batteries as I possibly can throughout my life!" Sad. Really sad.

And btw, just a few AA batteries takes up more space and weight than most OEM rechargeable batteries with their charger!

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow