Entry level dslr?

Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
normsmith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372
Re: Entry level dslr?

In te Nikon line- up the D3100 is the entry level DSLR. Then you have the D5100 and then the D7000.

The D5100 is a fantastic camera and shares the same sensor as the D7000. The D7000 has some additional functionality such as a second wheel. On the D5100 some settings are still via a menu rather than via the body. So for example i have my function button set to adjust ISO but there is only one function button and so you must choose the setting that is most important to you (in my case instant access to ISO).

Another main difference is that the D5100 does NOT have a driove motor for lenses, so you are limited to motorised lenses, not a problem for me, but coming from a D50, you may not feel the same way.

If I could buy again, i would still go for the D5100. In the world of compromises, it gave me a smaller body, with good image and high ISO ability, while being within budget. I think the term 'entry level' is descriptive rather prescriptive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow