AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Svein Eriksen Senior Member • Posts: 1,839
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?

I used a Fujifilm HS20 this summer. The screen might not qualify as fully articulated, but you can tilt it up and down which is good enough for most purposes although not quite at convenient as the Canon-design.

Anyway, it uses 4 AAs, Ni-Mh, Alkaline or Lithium (not rechargeable). I got around 500 exposures (and som video clips) from a set of alkalines and well over 1000 (+ some video) from Lithium ones. Almost all pictures was taken in RAW+JPG mode.

HS20 do Full HD video. The video function isn't it's strongest side, but you can get decent quality with some care.

Fujfilm has preannouced(?) a new superzoom called the X-S1, it will presumably be available in January 2012, but I'm not sure if it will use AAs.

Btw, I agree with other comments here that you shouldn't disqualify a camera because of battery type unless you have a very good reason. IMO travel can be a good reason, particulary long wilderness/backpacking trips (like thruhiking the AT or PCT). I wouldn't worry for general travel were recharging is easy.

I'd also look closely on the Pansonic FZ150 which IMO is a better model than the current Canons suprerzooms unless you need teh extra zoomrange.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow