A77 + superzoom vs canon 5D + L lenses

Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mike_2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
A77 + superzoom vs canon 5D + L lenses

Due to their weight and a growing preference for sony's offerings I have been steadily moving away from the canon gear that I own, a 5dmk1 and 1740L, 70-200F4 L IS. This is very good quality kit, but expensive, heavy and at the end of the day I have grown to realise that it is much more important to have a camera with you that you actually use rather than a really high quality heavy one that you leave at home.

I like the A77 so far, a lot, and I like the weight/flexibility/cost trade off offered by tamron's zooms and sony's value primes. I have the 35 mm f1.8 on order but two zooms arrived yesteday, the 18-270 PZD and 10-24. I already have the 1750 f2.8.

With these lenses I can finally perform a test I've wanted to do for some time; with the A77 and superzoom, how does it perform compared to a FF camera with top canon lenses?

The answer is, pretty darn well. I used a tripod viewing a building about 1.5km away, steady shot off and 2second timer for the sony, mirror lock up and 2 second timer for the canon, raw all the way, iso 100. Shots were taken both fully open and f/8 at matched focal lengths. Outputted from LR3 to 16MP equivalent 100% crops from both cameras (so 75% crop from sony 130% crop from canon).

Let's start with A77-18270 140 mm vs 5D-70200F4LIS 200 mm
Really very little difference, imo.

wide open

f/8

-- hide signature --

IQ is not judged exclusively by high iso noise performance

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
mzd
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow