AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,141
Spare batteries can be left in checked luggage...

Doug Pardee wrote:

Li-Ion advantages over AA rechargeables:

Recharge time 3 hours vs. 15 or so.
Charge lasts many times longer.
Much smaller.
Much lighter.

Partial list. You missed some of the most important reasons. I'll add my own post...

AA advantages over Li-Ion:

Can buy non-rechargeables at almost any store.

True. But can you buy fresh, hi grade AA batteries of a quality suitable for a digital camera?

Spare batteries can be left in checked luggage.

Same is true of lithium. The prohibited quantities are very high, something on the order 300 W-H total batteries, with no battery bigger than 100 W-H. That's 25 DSLR batteries, or 6 high-capacity laptop batteries.

The only reason I can think of to want a camera that takes AA batteries is if you're going to be spending a long time away from AC power but reasonably close to somewhere you can buy AA batteries.

I'm trying to picture such a place. Most of the time, I'd expect to lose access to a source of AA batteries before I lost access to AC and DC power.

In which case, I'd get a nice $300 rollable solar panel.

Otherwise, a spare Li-Ion battery or two, charged up before you leave, will usually cover you. Relatively few people even need a spare Li-Ion battery.

True. It's getting to the point where we expect 1000 shots on the things.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow