played with the 1Dx and some "rumors" on 5D M3

Started Oct 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dirkluchtman Contributing Member • Posts: 590
played with the 1Dx and some "rumors" on 5D M3

Today, I attended the Mcbain Camera photography tradeshow, in Edmonton, Alberta. At the Canon stand, they had, first in Canada, the 1Dx on display. Since there was only 1, I only got to hold it in my hands for a few minutes, but I immediately noticed how easy to hold the beast was. It was also fairly light. Mind that I have never before held a 1D series camera, so I do not know how it compares.

I set the camera to aperture priority mode and shot some pics at ISO 6400 and 12800 and higher. There was no card in the camera so I could review and magnify the images, but I did notice that ISO6400 was pretty much entirely clean and ISO 12800 looked pretty good as well (if not entirely clean also). Again, without some magnification, it is really hard to tell, but compared to my 60D for instance, I can clearly see the noise kicking in at ISO 3200, on the display. It looks pretty promising, as far as noise is concerned at least. Of course at the highest ISO setting of 51200, noise was clearly visible on the display.

In addition, some of the Canon representatives I talked to were really tight lipped about any 5D M3. They were 100% positive there will be no replacement this year and hinted that there might not even be a 5d M3 but a completely different line. They also mentioned March 2012 as a possible time of replacement.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow