Kodak P880 camera - power switch problem fix, apparently

Started Sep 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
MarcusGR New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Kodak P880 camera - power switch FIXED FOR GOOD !! NOTHING TO DO WITH DEOXIT !!!

Hi everybody. After apparently "fixing" my camera with Deoxit for a while the power switch problem came back worse than ever. So I decided to disassemble the power switch and hava a look myself.

What I found proves that THE DEOXIT SOLUTION IS A MITH !!! THERE IS NOTHING INSIDE THE POWER SWITCH THAT DEOX-IT CAN FIX !!! IT'S ALL PLASTICS !! The only thing Deoxit does is lubricate the swithc so that one actually turns it a llittle further than usual, which - for a very shorth while - fixes the problem.

THE POWER SWITCH PROBLEM IS DUE TO EROSION (WEAR OFF) OF A PLASTIC PRONG INSIDE THE SWITCH, WHICH THEREFORE BECOMES TOO SHORT AND IS UNABLE TO PRESS A CONTACT WITHIN THE SWITCH.
Here I acclude 3 images proving what I say:
Fig. 1) The two press-contacts within the switch
Fig. 2) The press-contact which is supposed to turn the camera on

Fig. 3) The two plastic-prongs which should alternately press each of the two press-contacts: AS YOU CAN SEE, WITH USE ONE OF THEM (THE ONE TO TURN THE CAMERA OFF AND ON) BECOMES SHORTENED. The other one is OK (but it only serves to see images in the "gallery", so it is very rarely used).

I have therefore "repaired" my camera in a very "brutal" way, by "gluing-in" the power-switch into its socket. This way my camera stays permanently "on" (until auto-switch off kicks in or until I remove the battery). In any case, this way my camera is usable.

MarcusGR's gear list:MarcusGR's gear list
Olympus E-10 Panasonic FZ1000
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow