Some initial experiences of A77 with Sony 135 STF and Minolta Beercan

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lucas vda Regular Member • Posts: 224
Some initial experiences of A77 with Sony 135 STF and Minolta Beercan

I have always been interested in the STF, but I did never buy one because of the challenges in focussing (on a Minolta Dynax 7D and the Sony A700). So now with live view and focus peaking I decided to finally buy one. The following observations were only based on one short trip to try out the A77. I have thrown away most photos, as I have decided with the size of the A77 files, to start pruning upon the first download.

Sony 135 STF

• focus peaking sometimes works very well, and sometimes it is does not; it seems to be quite sensitive to the light and the object

• if focus peaking works well, I can focus at least as easy as with a film camera in the past (Minolta XD-7, X-500, X-700, Canon AE-1 Program, etc.)

• if focus peaking does not work well, you can be lucky if there is an object or area at the same distance for which focus peak works (e.g. I was trying to focus on a bird standing in grass; the focus peaking did not show up on the bird, BUT there was a clear 20 cm yellow line on the grass that would move forwards of backwards depending on my focus point, by having the bird in the middle of the line it was extremely easy to obtain focus.

• if focus peaking does not work, it is possible to get very good focus by magnifying in live view, but it takes much more effort (due to image shake)

Beercan

• overall focussing was faster and quieter than I was used to; also, almost no hunting

• however, purple fringing seemed to be significant stronger than on my 7D and A700 (I own 4 Beercans that are cosmetically very good. They have different coatings and behave optically differently. The Beercan I used is my favourite Beercan for portraits. It is the sharpest of the four, but also the one with stronger purple fringing than 2 of the others.)

• I used focus peaking in the grass to check front or back-focus; focus was spot on!

Anyway, I hope that this is useful for anyone considering the STF.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow