Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help

Started Oct 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 4,690
Re: Want a good quality zoom under 1k...plz help

You are going to get many, many recommendations and probably become more confused than you are right now!

I'm a fairly new a55 owner and had two kit lenses, 18-55mm and 75-300mm. It's important for me to say now that the IQ from those lenses seemed fine to me. Many on this forum will call them junk. My only problem was that I always seemed to have the wrong lens mounted. After a great deal of study and good input from forum members, I bought a Sigma 18-250mm. I like the lens but after one trip to the local zoo with it, I had to admit that it was very heavy and didn't really balance well on the a55. So, my search started for something else for every day use and I decided to put the Sigma away until my next Yellowstone trip. If I buy a new a65 or a77, the Sigma will be attached to it permanently.

Using size and weight as a primary consideration, I bought a Tamron 28-200mm. It hasn't been off my camera since I got it. It looks like it was made for the a55 and the IQ is just fine. I often crop the 200mm images heavily and the quality remains very good.

Since you are buying your first lens, my recommendation is the Tamron 18-270mm. Although I don't have it, it seems to get good reviews and covers pretty much everything. It's a light weight and short lens, compared to many others. Or, you may consider the lens I have, Tamron 28-200mm. It's a good lens.

Good luck,....I can't wait to see the recommendations you get.

Jack

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow