My first posting to this forum, and my first bird action shots (BIFs?)

Started Sep 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP Skaarungen Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: My first posting to this forum, and my first bird action shots (BIFs?)

Skeeterbytes wrote:

As to the exposure being off, can you share more of your camera settings, including the metering pattern? There can be many sources of missed exposure.

Here are some more of the settings:

ISO 200, Aperture priority @F5.6, CTR-Weighted metering, WB Auto, Picture mode Natural with no adjustments, C-AF @CTR-Point, Burst mode High, IS1. Body: E-5, Lens 12-60mm, both @ FW level 1.2

At first I tought that maybe shooting in burst mode behaved like the exposure was AE-locked at the first frame, but looking at the EXIF data, the shutter speed during the following 25 frame sequence varied between 1/400 and 1/1600. To my eyes, and from what I saw at the scene, almost the whole sequence is underexposed. Only the last six frames, where the young gull comes in to the shore again, seems to be reasonably well exposed. The light was somewhat strange this day: Overcast, but bright enough that whe had to wear sun-glasses to feel comfortable.

Another (positive) matter is that the C-AF seems to be working quite well, considering that this sequence was shot handheld with IS1 and the fact that this was my first attempt at following a moving target...

Here's the sequence (no PP, just resized in Windows Live Photo Gallery)

Just for the sake of it, I ran the above shot through "Auto Smart Fix" in PSE 9. This is very close to what I saw at the scene:

I am very surprised by these exposure issues as I have been very pleased with the AE system, both on the E-5 an my previous E-510.

Any thoughts?

Harald

Skaarungen's gear list:Skaarungen's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow