Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
sparkling elk
sparkling elk Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

bobn2 wrote:

sparkling elk wrote:

isn't there really no advantage of larger pixels over smaller ones concerning realisation of best IQ from lowest to highest iso ?

Not really. Of course, you need to talk not only about pixel size and number of pixels, or equivalently sensor size and number of pixels. Generally, for the same size sens or the more pixels the better, until you get to really tiny pixel dimensions.

no doubt that "very good" resolution is better than less (than very good). but do we need to go to a kind of HD quality ? and from what size on pixel get (too tiny) ? 5 or 4um ? and until what degree of resolution the optics will be outresolved ? and generally: how much comfort and tolerances huge resoutions will cost for how much advantage in IQ (DR) ?

i can see the advantage of the 60% more resolution betweenthe 1D3 and 1D4. but how many pixels more this sensor could take, keeping the same overall (DR, iso, color) ? it seems in this case (1D3 - 1D4) the increased 60% resolution is keeping a similar DR but increases iso performance ( STRANGE i thought bigger pixels will always offer a better iso performance). would be more even better (keeping DR) ?

30x mp might be ok for an FF sensor, using the performance of this 1D4 sensor. so i might be wrong that 2x mp is the thing, ok.

maybe in 5 years, when i will be able to work on a XXLcore computer, high capacity SSD disks and home-NAS, i could deal with this resolution. (not to forget superfast 64GB CF and SD cards ... and: maybe you'll need the latest EF L-lens versions to keep pace with extreme resolutions... ).

These cameras can do in-camera raw processing, that is you can get the camera to do your raw conversion according to your requirements and then dump it out to your computer, if your computer isn't fast enough.

cannot believe that. i think the most efficiant control of raw conversion will be reserved for PP on a nice panel.

canon's APSH became as good as FF some years ago. APSC might get as good soon (refering to D7000 discussion). will i need high end FF (replacing MF at a similar performance) ?

The best possible DR comes from having many small pixels, so by and large if you want a sensor with 2xMP and more DR, the easiest way to get it is give it 3x or 4x the number of pixels. Each 4x pixel size increase will give you a stop more sensor DR, if everything else is equal. Usually it is the ADC method that is the limit on DR.

ok, many (lets say really enough) pixels is better than 1x mp designs. but honestly, when i look at my 16mp files, i dont need more resolution. i am not sure BTW that you'll get so much more DR increasing resolution from a certain momen on. the curve (of advantage) for an increasing resolution might become flat, simply because of physical reasons. possible that a 32mp sensor (FF) is capable to give better overall IQ than a 21mp sensor. possible that such type of sensors become expensive.

after all and today, i'd be very happy with a 2x mp FF sensor with the best available IQ. give me a 5D3 with a FF 1D4-like sensor delivering a quality that is better and more pleasing than a future D800

-- hide signature --

Bob

sparkling elk's gear list:sparkling elk's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow